Timber Ridge School (TRS) transforms the lives of emotionally disturbed and behaviorally disordered adolescent boys between the ages of 10 and 21, with a goal of reuniting them successfully with their families and communities.
Our proven programs focus on the whole student, emphasizing physical and emotional health, educational achievement, vocational training, independence, and social interaction to help every child achieve his greatest potential.
With over 44 years of dedication and passion, we provide an expertise in the field that is unrivalled, thanks to our highly educated, highly experienced staff.
And the results attest to our success, even with the toughest boys.
Some of the ways we are different:
- 1:10 classroom ratio
- 91% average graduation rate of eligible students during past 5 years
- Emphasis on frequent family visits
- Interscholastic sports program
- Advanced classroom technology
- Extraordinary staff retention
- Active community service program
When social service agencies and probation officers refer a student to us, we work with them, in partnership with the child and his parents, to determine how best to meet his needs.
Our programs are structured to transition the boys back to their families as soon as they can do so successfully, by teaching them critical life skills.
Some of our highlighted services include:
- Enhanced Residential Services**
- Substance Abuse Services
- Goal-Based Services
- Diagnostic and Assessment Services
- In-Home Skill Development Services to support families through reintegration following discharge from a residential program or during family dysfunction and crisis
- Intensive In-Home Services **
- Academic Day School for non-resident students
- Career and Technical Training
** Virginia Medicaid reimbursable service
The young men who come to Timber Ridge School are often removed from a chaotic family system. However, children love and value their parents. Therefore, we remain family-driven. A treatment climate of shared responsibility, open communication, strength focus, and equal partnership facilitates healing and growth. This duality of approach — where we treat the student, while helping improve family dynamics and parental effectiveness — leads to positive change.
- What’s the Latest?
- Mort Kunstler Ornament
- FAMILY Calendar
- NEWS & EVENTS
- Video Tours
- Outcomes Data
- Employment Opportunities
- Evidence Based Practices
Watch artist Mort Künstler create a charcoal sketch of the bust of Stonewall Jackson in Winchester, VA.
As we celebrate the 18th edition of our ornament program, we offer our deepest thanks to Mort Künstler for his generosity and ongoing commitment to Timber Ridge School. Read more.